|HOME PAGE HISTORY ARCHAEOLOGY PROJECTS CONTACT|
The first preoccupations of foundating a local museum dates from the second half of the 19th century. In 1874 Dimitrie Papazoglu emphasized the "protection of such hitorical treasures and sacred relics of our ancestors. On behalf of the romanian history, I petitioned them to build near the town's gymnasium a large room in which we can bring those stones with historical letterings which can be seen in a great amount lying close to many fallen churches and in the crossroads."
The intense exhibition activity from the beginning of the 20th century will materialize in 1912 in the house of squire Fussea, donated by the owner "in the purpose of foundating the History museum of the town and the county", initiating the exhibition of the collector Saint-Georges (antiquities, icons, coins, epigraphic documents).
In 1928 a lapidarium with pieces from the old Romanian Orthodox Church is organized in the park baring the same name, in an building of its own named "The Museum of the Romanian Orthodox Church".
On the initiative of the senator C-tin Dimitrie and teacher Virgil Draghiceanu and the inhabitants and supported by the Historical Monuments Committee the rising of a town museum, designed by the architect N. Ghika - Budesti is approved by the Royal Edict from 30.10.1937, built by public contributions, the construction being completed in 1938 and the museum being inaugurated on 30th of January 1944.
Until 1968 it has functioned in his original structure, having a mixed theme (archaeology, history, art, ethnography). Through its conversion in 1968 into a county museum and afterwards in 1992 into a national ensemble, its activity will be diversified by new museums, reaching now 15 units of history, architecture, monuments, archaeology, ethnography, art, literature, etc. profiles, from which 8 are located in Targoviste.
Besides, the town (certified in 1936) and its surroundings, the historical monuments across the county occasioned and imposed an active research and recovery. The archaeological excavations and the renovations were centered mainly on the medieval monuments, being supported by the Historical Monuments Committee, The Archaeological Institute from Bucharest and C.N.M. "The Royal Court" in : the Royal Court, Stelea Monastery, the Romanian Orthodox Church, the Church of the Fair, Monasteries: Cobia, Dealu, Nucet; the Potlogi Palace in Brancoveanu style, etc.