|HOME PAGE HISTORY ARCHAEOLOGY PROJECTS CONTACT|
|PRESENTATION GHE. PETRASCU - THE PAINTER WORKS VISITOR INFORMATIONS|
House-Atelier “Gheorghe Petrascu”was opened on april the 12-th, 1970. The museum exhibits, besides some of the artist's works, memorial objects, like photos, letters, brushes, the easel, personal belongings and so on.
The painter Gheorghe Petrascu (1872-1949), a famous romanian artist, visited Targoviste for the first time in 1920, event that will grant our city a bright artistic notoriety. The artist decided to build a house here, looking for a favorable environment that should compensate the destruction of his house from Nicoresti in 1917, during the war.
From 1922 until 1942 Gheorghe Petrascu painted a lot in Targoviste, being attracted by the patriarchal aspect of the city, by the historical vestiges that defy the time. He did paintings related to the Princely Court, paintings of old houses from Targoviste, dead nature related paintings and paintings of static natures with flowers.
The artist's house became The “House-Atelier Gheorghe Petrascu” in april 1970. There are 51 exhibits showing the public major stages of the artist's work. One can find here landscapes, portraits, static natures and even an early sample from the “interiors” cycle.